Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dancing Queen

I am still hard at work in my grad school classes (see my blog list), and I am hard at work again at work. :) We have one more week left in the school year. We have been building and launching rockets, playing in a softball tournament, reading like mad to finish our class novel, Among the Barons, and DANCING!

Thursday is the annual end-of-year 6th grade dance, and to ensure the kids have plenty of moves to do, I have been teaching them dance routines to songs from every decade from the 1940's to the 1990's. I actually have dance moves I could teach them clear back to the "aught's", as Emery calls them, but we don't have any more time to learn them all. I have had a ton of fun teaching them. I have danced about and hour and a half every day for the last 3 weeks! You'd think that between all that cardio and watching my diet (which I have been doing, E & B) I would have lost a few pounds. Alas, as far as I can tell this is not the case. Sigh... But, at least I've been having a ton of fun. I LOVE dancing! I don't love being sweaty every day and having my hair all funky-do-wa, but I do love dancing.

In the past months I have been so into the astronomy I have been teaching that I have even been dreaming of space! For example, did you know that solar winds strong enough to blow us right off the surface of our planet are blowing at the earth every day?! The only thing that protects us from these winds is the invisible magnetic forcefield created because of the earth's iron core. But, little bits of the energy from these winds get through the forcefield, and when they do they create spectacular light shows we know as Auroras. Fascinating, don't you think? Well, apparently I thought so because I had dreams about solar winds and Auroras for a whole week! There are worse things I could dream about. :)

Despite all my business, I was able to get everything done a little early so I could take a trip with three of my friends to Las Vegas this past weekend. So fun! Here's my brief summary of our mini vacation:
The gas may have been expensive, but I did win $60.
I didn't buy anything at the mall, but I was able to demonstrate that my blanket can do anything Sharon's new dress can do.
The shows may not have been everything we expected, but the adventure certainly was.
I may not have slept well, but I got to laugh at Emery talking to me in her sleep.
My dinner may not have been up to par, but the chocolate was.
The elevators and valet may have taken an eternity, but the people watching during the waits was better than anywhere else on earth.
I didn't get to see Bette Midler perform, but I did get serenaded by Emery and Bethany.
I may have gotten my behind pinched, but I got to dance!
It was a long drive, but so worth the chance to talk with Beth, Sharon, and Emery.
It was definitely very hot there, but so were we!
So, I'd say it was a great trip! I'm looking forward to the next one!

I'd better get to bed so I am not so exhausted again tomorrow. All the activities of my day can really wear me out!

3 comments:

eclaires said...

I love that you said funky do wa! :)

Coco said...

hey we might be moving back to vegas soon so make sure you let me know if you're coming! i would love to see you!

eclaires said...

When are you gonna blog again... the blogosphere misses you.