Saturday, February 2, 2008

Until We Meet Again


I had the distinct privilege today to attend the funeral services for President Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The spirit felt at the conference center was peaceful and warm. I loved hearing from his daughter and his fellow church leaders. My testimony of his role as prophet and my faith in Jesus Christ, my Savior, were strengthened. What an honor it has been to learn from President Hinckley, hear his wise words, watch his excellent example, and be blessed by his inspired leadership all these years. He truly was a man of God.

I am so happy to know that President Hinckley is now with his wife again, and that they are both in the presence of friends and family who have gone on before them. I can only imagine how glorious their reunion was on Sunday evening when he passed through the veil to be greeted by his Heavenly Father, the Savior, and his dear, sweet wife. Surely there were tears of joy and embraces. I imagine the Savior said to him, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

One of the many inspirational and touching thoughts from the funeral this morning was that of Presidnet Hinckley's repeated reassurance that "Things will work out." I tell myself this very thing every day as I face my own little challenges, struggles, and questions. It is a comfort to hear the prophet of the Lord expressing the same sentiments. It gives me renewed faith and courage to go forward with my life, knowing things will work out. And of course they will, if I put my trust in God, my loving, all-knowing Heavenly Father.

I was also filled with joy as I was reminded that this life is not the end of our relationships with our loved ones. President Hinckley has been reunited with his sweetheart, and one day his children, family, and friends will be reunited with him as well. I too will one day be reunited with my own father, and my wonderful mother will be reunited with her sweetheart. My dad's headstone reads, "How sweet will our reunion be!" I have had a glimpse of that sweetness as I have imagined President Hinckley's return to his heavenly home.

My thoughts and prayers are also with President Monson today as he prepares to step forward and take on the mantle of being the next prophet of The Church. As he stood at the pulpit today, ready to begin the services, he paused, as if to collect his thoughts and emotions. I can only imagine what those thoughts were, but I was impressed with the loss he has suffered in the passing of his dear friend and leader, and the responsibility he will be undertaking. I pray for him to receive strength and guidance. I am grateful for his goodness. I know he will be lead by the Lord, as President Hinckley was, to direct the Lord's church and His people.

It has been a beautiful, winter day - a time of contemplation, gratitude, faith, humility, and renewed determination to do the Lord's will. I am determined to live my life in such a way that I continue the legacy that President Hinckley and all the prophets before him have built. I will stand as a witness of Christ and move forward in the work the Lord has for me to do. My greatest desire is to be the person that President Hinckley, my dad, my mom, Heavenly Father, and Jesus Christ expect me to be and know I can be. I am eternally grateful for my blessings and my knowledge of God's plan for me and for us all.

3 comments:

eclaires said...

You are wonderful, Katie!

Alanna said...

I loved reading what you had to say about the funeral and your thoughts you have had the past few days. My thoughts have been very similar to yours. I was sad that I wasn't able to see the funeral because i was sitting in a gifted and talented conference. I really enjoyed going to the temple with you last week. We will need to plan a time to go again. Hope you have a good week at school!

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration to those around you. What an example you are as an "everyday" missionary. Your testimony could lift mountains! I love that about you!
Tami