Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day


This morning Emery and I met Brian and Derrick for breakfast at Dee's. It was fun to spend time with them. After our meal, as we waited for Derrick at the cash register, in walked President and Sister Monson! (Over a year ago I had thought that I had seen President Monson at the same Dee's as I drove by, so he must frequent the restaurant.) Emery said good morning and President Monson said good morning as well. He said he was just trying to remember what country he was in today. "I think I'm in Salt Lake again," he laughed. "We're here to enjoy some breakfast... or is it lunch? What do you call it when it's between breakfast and lunch?"

"Brunch," I replied.

He laughed again and said, "Yes! That is the word for it, isn't it?"

He motioned for his wife to sit down on the benches while they waited for a table, then looked to see if we were in need of sitting on the benches. We motioned for him to go ahead and sit. "Well, you're young, I suppose. You don't need to sit down, do you?"

I told him, "Oh, we're on our way out anyway."

"Oh don't say that!" he replied. "That makes it sound like you're on your way out of this life!"

I laughed and said, "I'm not ready for that yet!"

"Well, no! You just got here!"

We all laughed again.

When Derrick was done paying his portion of the check, he turned around to realize what was going on. He was hesitant to interrupt Pres. Monson's conversation with some other Dee's customers, but he clearly wanted to shake hands with Pres. Monson and meet him. With some encouragement, he waited for a pause in the conversation, then Pres. Monson reached out his hand and shook Derrick's hand, then mine. He commented that Derrick was wearing his high school colors. "West High." he said. "She (pointing to his wife) went to East High, and I went to
West High. My school was finally honored as being Utah's best high school this year. It's always been her high school that won, but finally my high school did."

It was fun to see the president of the church in such normal, every day circumstances and remember that even with the great spirituality and responsibilities that come with being the Lord's prophet, he is also just a person. I have met him once before when I worked at Aspen Grove and he came to do a fireside. He is very tall, and very friendly. I thought today he looked particularly vibrant and happy. He has a fun personality and sense of humor and is loving and kind and patient. What an enjoyable experience.

3 comments:

Alanna said...

wow! That's exciting. I guess I need to go to Dee's and see if I can have a random run in with the prophet. :) That is a Memorial day that you won't forget.

The Smith Family said...

Thats pretty cool. I read the story to my girls and they thought that was the coolest thing ever. Now Ashlyn wants to go back to Utah to see the prophet.

Andrea said...

Sweet-o!!!!