Friday, March 14, 2008

Choking on Soap

It snowed again today after a week of wonderful, sunny weather. Of course, my phone told me this would happen. As Brian put it, my phone does everything including cook breakfast and project holographic images. It's true. Well, it has its own campfire at least.

While it snowed, I folded laundry and listened to music. Then I worked on my homework. I chose to work on my Web 2.0 assignment, which allowed me to search through fun online tools like del.icio.us and Peer Trainer. I updated my blogs as well (check out the updated links on the side bar, including "Sassmaster's Bookmarks").

You may or may not know that I have been called as my LDS stake's women's sports director. As such, I am in charge of getting help for the young women's regional basketball tournament this week. I tried and tried to get people to help, but no one called me back. I've actually been calling people all week, and I've only gotten two of the six volunteers I need! Frustrating. I need score keepers and referees, but everyone must be avoiding me. Fortunately, at Shelly's birthday party tonight, Becca said she would be willing to help tomorrow if I can't get anyone else. She's not even called to do it, but she said she'd do it for me. What a pal! :)

As I prepared for bed tonight I washed my face with pineapple soap from Bath and Body Works. It must have smelled good because I breathed in right as the soap was lathered up. It went up my nose and down my throat. I started choking on the soap bubbles! Yuck!

Finally, I watched "Vertigo" on TCM. It's a bit of a strange movie, what with the flashbacks and the blinking green, blue, and red light, but I like Alfred Hitchcock movies. And I like Jimmy Stewart. One of my favorite movies of all time is "Harvey". Jimmy Stewart was great in that movie! He and Cary Grant are my favorite old movie actors. I love movies like "Philadelphia Story" that star both actors.

Following "Vertigo" a movie called "Night of the Lepus" aired on TCM Underground. I didn't watch the whole thing, but it's a horor film about overpopulation of rabbits. The opening scenes were filled with rabbits running all over the place while people tried to round them up in nets and bags. I guess the rabbits were causing major problems eating all the crops. One man's horse tripped in a rabbit hole and broke its leg. The man had to shoot his horse. Yes, I know. A disturbing movie. But, it gets much, much worse when the rabbits are genetically altered, grow to be the size of ponies, and eat people. This picture should give you an idea of what the movie is like:

You can go to The Agony Booth for a review of this movie that is far more entertaining than the movie itself. Here is a quote from the review:
"How often have you seen an awful movie and said to yourself, 'What were they thinking?' Well, after watching Night of the Lepus, the question you'll be asking instead is, 'Were they thinking?' This is one of those rare films where a person doesn't need to view a single frame to realize that the very concept (giant killer bunny rabbits! I mean, for goodness sake!) is spectacularly misguided."
Now, just so you don't think the movie is a total waste, it does star DeForest Kelley of Star Trek fame. Also, it was produced by MGM studios and is based on a novel. "Who would write a novel about such a topic?" you might ask. Well, the author was Australian. So, there you go.

Perhaps there are only two things more strange than the movie itself:
One, the fact that the reviewer on The Agony Booth wrote on and on about the movie for 7 pages!
Two, the fact that I have gotten such a kick out of this whole thing!

And that sums up my adventures for today.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

The worst movie I have ever seen: Killer Clowns from Outer Space. Why on earth did I watch the entire thing? Because I needed to find out if it was going to get better. It didn't. Don't watch it. But, like unto your killer rabbit movie--the title should indicate it's fabulousness.