Monday, March 10, 2008

Geek Conference

I tracked-off a day early and got a sub to cover my class a week ago Friday so I could attend the annual UCET (Utah Coalition for Educational Technology) conference. I had a great time, even though I didn't win any prizes. :) I enjoyed being with my friends from Grad School. I enjoyed the classes. I enjoyed meeting new people and seeing old friends. I enjoyed learning about new technology for the classroom. I enjoyed wandering through the vendors and getting free pencils. (Rossi, I KNOW I got more than you did! You should see the pile of Apple pencils I got!) And I enjoyed the keynote speaker. It was great!

The keynote speaker was David Pogue. He spoke all about the world of Web 2.0. He was hilarious! At the end of his presentation he sang a couple songs about technology. (He changes the lyrics to well-known songs.) One of them was to the tune of "I Did it My Way", only his version was all about the iPhone.


About half way through his song, members of the audLinkience who had iPhones pulled them out and held them up, swaying to the beat of the song. (You know, like lighters were used in the olden days. :) We all started cracking up. Then, with a thrill, I realized I HAVE AN iPHONE! I grabbed my new iPhone out of my bag, and joined the crowd! David Pogue finally became aware of what was going on and had to stop playing to laugh at us too. Very funny. A video of his presentation will be available online soon. (Here is the link to it.) But, for now you can view the music video of his iPhone song on YouTube.

I attended a lot of other great classes and visited plenty of cool vendors at the conference too. When I do my conference write-up for my grad school class, I will post it on my EDPS 6446 blog. You can read all about my great geek conference there. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Alanna said...

I was wondering what this Geek Conference was all about! :) Glad you had a good time.

Jo said...

It was indeed a great conference; very interesting indeed! Hope you are well! I missed seeing you tonight, but there's always Wednesday!!!!!