Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Old Quotes, New Perspectives

I have all these little notebooks stored in my closet that I used to write in. I would write "To Do" lists, thoughts, quotes, ideas for short stories or songs, dreams I wanted to remember, fun things I wanted to tell my then boyfriend... random thoughts. I was looking through one of these old notebooks today and read some quotes that inspired me. It was good timing for me to remember thoughts that had once lifted me. The quotes are very simple, but with new challenges and circumstances in my life, they hit me with deeper meaning and importance.

"Do something good you don't want to do every day."

"The peaceful times in your life only come after the battles in your life."
[For example, in The Book of Mormon 4th Nephi (peace) only comes after 3rd Nephi (war).]

"If you want to obtain things you've never had, you must do things you've never done."

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

"The longer you put off responding to its promptings, the less effect the of the Spirit of the Lord has on you."

"Faith is doing the right thing when it's hard."

"Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen." (D&C 4:7)

"... cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart... Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?" (D&C 6:22-23)

"Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers." (D&C 112:10)

"Why do we stay in darkness when such rescuing light awaits us?"

"Knowing is not enough. We must do, and we must be."

"Be first to love."

"Our greatest desires lay just beyond our greatest fears."

"And now the cause... we knew not; therefore we were grieved and also filled with fear...
Therefore we did pour out our souls in prayer to God, that he would strengthen us and deliver us... yea, and also give us strength...
Yea, and it came to pass that the Lord our God did visit us with assurances that he would deliver us; yea, insomuch that he did speak peace to our souls, and did grant unto us great faith, and did cause us that we should hope for our deliverance in him.
And we did take courage... and were fixed with a determination... And thus we did go forth with all our might..." (Alma 58: 9-13)

No comments: