Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Stress Relief

Here's something you never wanted to know about me. I suppose it's gross, but you get to read about anyway. I have a condition known as RAS. Here's an explanation from Wikipedia:

An aphthous ulcer, also known as canker sore, is a type of oral ulcer, which presents as a painful open sore inside the mouth. The condition is also known as aphthous stomatitis. Aphthous stomatitis is a condition which is characterized by recurrent discrete areas of ulceration which are almost always painful. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis (RAS) can be distinguished from other diseases with similar-appearing oral lesions by their tendency to recur, and their multiplicity and chronicity. At least 10% of the population suffers from it. Women are more often affected than men. About 30–40% of patients with recurrent aphthae report a family history. The ulcer, which itself is often extremely painful, especially when agitated, may be accompanied by a painful swelling of the lymph nodes below the jaw, which can be mistaken for toothache. Another symptom is fever (37.1 celsius). A sore on the gums may be accompanied by discomfort or pain in the teeth. The exact cause of many aphthous ulcers is unknown but stress and fatigue (among other things) contribute to their development.

For many years now, in my most stressful times, I have had these awful sores pop up in my mouth. It is a painful reminder that I am too stressed and too tired. I need to find better ways of dealing with stress since it seems that my mouth (and my back - a whole other condition) freak out every time I don't manage it well.

This past week was one of my most stressful yet. Evidence: I now have SEVEN of these painful little spots in my mouth. Fortunately, my students' Shakespeare play is edited and auditions have concluded, the second grading period and parent/teacher conferences are over, I successfully presented and volunteered at my technology conference, and I have now tracked off. I slept in this morning, folded and put away all my laundry, got the house cleaned, payed bills, and got organized while the snow fell outside and "Gilmore Girls" played on the television. It felt good. I still have some work responsibilities to take care of, a lot of homework to do, church responsibilities (which I happily take on) to see to, and my roller coaster of emotions to deal with, but come Friday the 13th I will walk away from the stress for 10 days! I will be on a plane to Berlin, Germany! I am so excited! Traveling, sightseeing, attending concerts and basketball games, babysitting my nieces, and playing with Brittney, Casey, and Emery are just what the doctor ordered. :)

No comments: