Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sachsenhousen

This morning Brittney, Emery, and I traveled about 40 minutes outside of Berlin to visit Sachsenhausen, the German concentration camp. I have obviously learned about the Holocaust over the years. I have visited the Holocaust museum in Washington, DC and the British War Museum in London, among other sites. I have read novels and books and had many lessons in school about World War II. Knowing the atrocities that took place helped me understand what I was going to see by visiting Sachsenhausen, but none of those experiences compare to actually standing on the ground where prisoners lined up for roll call - where they were forced to endure freezing temperatures, humiliation, and pain, often for 24 hours straight.
I walked where innocent people were forced to march every day with cold wind going through their thin clothing, not understanding why they were there or what was to become of them.
I looked through the peep holes in the cell doors where prisoners were kept in solitary confinement for weeks and months at a time.
I stood inside Barrack 38
and looked in on the infamous bunks, the washrooms where prisoners were given a trickle of water to bathe in, and the bathrooms where prisoners were so desperate to use the facilities that they trampled each other to get in.
I walked through rooms where SS guards tortured and killed prisoners. I saw prisoner uniforms, torture devices, and mass graves now marked by cement slabs.

At station Z I looked down on the trenches built to simplify mass shootings,
then the ovens used for cremation.

I passed the guard towers that were once manned by SS guards with machine guns, listened to eye witness accounts of the cruel beatings inflicted on prisoners by SS officers.
I read the ironic words on the iron gate at Tower A: "ARBEIT MACHT FREI" (Work makes you free).


I read about the death march that occured as officers tried to clear the camps of prisoners - witnesses - before liberation by the Allies. I was inspired by stories of Red Cross workers who risked their lives to try to help those who fell before they were shot for not keeping up with the evacuation. My heart broke for the Jews, the Russian soldiers, the political opponents, the Poles, the "social outcasts", the religious leaders, and the resistance fighters who were all sent to Sachsenhausen by order of the Fuhrer and murdered by hangings, shootings, beatings, exposure, illness, torture, starvation, medical experiments, exhaustion, gas chambers...

At the camp today I was reminded once again how vital it is to love all of God's children. One quote I heard today that stood out to me was one from a former prisoner who survived his time in Sachsenhausen. When he was asked if his imprisonment was really that bad he replied, "It was a thousand times worse."

It is unbelievable that the atrocities that took place there actually happened, that people could actually treat other people as they did. It is hard to believe and impossible for me to understand. It was important for me to go to Sachsenhausen today. The world must not forget what happened. We must not ever let it happen again.

2 comments:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

I have a love/hate relationship with the Holocaust. I love learning about it--because I want to understand people better and I want to learn to love people better. I hate the Holocaust because it was real and because it was one of the most amazingly horrific things ever.

I think if I had gone to that concentration camp, I either would have been crying the whole time or I would have just walked around with a hollow feeling in my heart. Or both.

Another thing that hurts me about the Holocaust is how similar some of the stories are to atrocities imposed on Native Americans--my people.

Yah, any way........ Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Katie- I have LOVED reading your posts, I love history and you add such detail (I've never been to Germany). Isn't it amazing that some people believe that this never even happened? I have a love/hate relationship wit this too. I love learning about major historical events and seeing the strength of the survivors...but I have a hard time knowing what some people had to go through. I wanted to be a marrieage and family therapist until we started learning about all sorts of abuse, I can't handle it. I think about it too much and just feel sick. As much as I don't want to know about it, I agree with you... we do need to know, and remind future generations so this does not happen again! Hilary