Monday, December 3, 2007

It's Been Too Long

I'm back in the blogging game! Things have been so busy with work, school, church, and of course my thriving social life ;) that I haven't had time to update my blog. But, I am off-track now, so I'll have a little bit more time to do some things I want to do - between homework and study groups, that is. So much has been going on, I hardly know where to start...

Emery and I have been singing up a storm again. Saturday we sang at our LDS Stake Conference. We performed "I Will Stand as a Witness of Christ" by Sally DeFord. It went very well, and we loved the opportunity to sing, as we always do. Elder Cecil O. Samuelson - member of the 1st Quorum of the 70 and president of BYU - presided over the meeting.

We were blessed to have our dear friend Clara Neu accompany us again due to her recent foot surgery that has prevented her from leaving to serve a church service mission in London, England with her husband. I suppose it is very selfish of me to say her breaking her foot in two places was a blessing, but I admit I was thrilled when I learned she would be here just a bit longer. She will be missed when she leaves in a couple of weeks.

We met some new friends on Saturday night at Stake Conference: Kristin, Andrew, and Dennis. They came over last night to watch the LDS First Presidency Christmas Devotional with us. We cooked s'mores and hot chocolate. Yay! Emery and I love new friends!

Friday night, Emery and I had the unique opportunity to be fairy godmothers at our friend Shae's wedding reception. Yes, Shae had a princess themed wedding. Yes, we did dress up as fairy godmothers - blue prom dresses, pink feather boas, glittering wings, crowns, wands, glitter everywhere, the works. (I'll have to post a picture when I get one.) We sang the song "Impossible! It's Possible!" from Rodgers and Hammerstein's "Cinderella". Later in the evening I sang "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" from Disney's "Cinderella" as she and her husband, Dave, danced. At one point in the night, Shae sang a solo which was followed by an elaborate, very fun dance performance by Shae, Dave, their siblings, and friends. It was actually a very entertaining evening. Shae did a great job putting together the program. We had a good time, despite the fact that everyone was staring at us (and yet, avoiding eye contact).

Saturday, Emery and I also babysat three of my nieces - Kersee, Mandie, and Heidi - while my sister Erin and her husband attended a convention for the business they are involved with. It was fun to spend time with the girls. They are very cute. Kersee is so smart - she wrote a story about the snow storm we were having, how her mom's car got stuck in the snow, the four men who helped push the car, and her mom yelling "¡Gracias!" out the car window. Mandie is a crack up. She managed to only fall off the chairs she was sitting on twice. (No permanent damage, Erin, don't worry.) Heidi loved seeing the snow falling out the window, and I loved hearing her babbling attempts to tell me all about it. By the way, the snow storm was fantastic! I don't know if I've ever seen the Salt Lake Valley look so incredibly beautiful!

Friday was my last day teaching for a whole month. My class and I went off track. We had a little holiday concert after lunch at which I sang "Jingle Bells?" (as performed by Barbara Streisand). The kids and my teammate Mrs. Simmons demanded an encore. It was a good time.

Oh ya - Thursday night I rushed down the hill from class to watch Kristine perform in her graduate student concert! She was great - the culmination of so many years of dancing. She is almost done with her master's degree in modern dance - just her thesis to go.

This is my last week of classes for the semester. I have one final next week as well, then I'm off for a couple of weeks from both work and school. Grad school is going well, but it is definitely keeping my busy. I don't know how some people get through all the readings assigned. But, I'm doing my best. I have a couple of projects, some online discussions, and my Instructional Design blog to work on this week, so I actually better get to work.

I will update again as soon as I am able! Until then, I hope everyone is enjoying the Christmas season!

P.S. I tried to add some links to topics mentioned in my blog in case some of you don't know what I'm talking about or would like more information. I'll try to do this frequently in my blog from now on, so keep an eye out for that.

No comments: