Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Miracles

I have had a simply wonderful past few days! I have felt calm, peaceful, happy, content, watched over, supported, and loved. As I mentioned in my blog entry "The Call Has Come", I was able to watch a dear friend of mine open his mission call on Thursday. I had fun researching Toulouse, France on Friday. On Saturday I was able to attend the temple with another friend. Sunday was filled with wonderful conversations, quality time with friends, and miraculous events. I am truly blessed, and my prayers are heard.

Monday I led members of my ward in singing Christmas carols at our neighborhood care center for our ward Family Home Evening activity. I was very pleased with the number of people who came to sing, and everything went very well. It was a great evening, and it reminded me how good it feels to do things for others, even something as simple as singing songs with them.

After singing we went to our institute building to play games. Have you ever had your knuckles bruised by and air hockey puck? I have! Michael's air hockey "slap shot" is brutal! But let it be known that, despite playing with an injury, I did win the game. :)

I went to visit Kristine today and had a wonderful time chatting and catching up. She only lives about 20-25 minutes away, but when we both get busy it's hard to meet up, so today was a treat. Love that girl!

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. I am looking forward to an unconventional Christmas this year. My original plans changed (and kept changing), so I am not traveling anywhere this year. My mom is coming here the day after Christmas, so I decided to stick around and do my own thing on the 24th and 25th. I get to spend Christmas Eve night with my former bishop and his wife at their house. It will be wonderful to be with them. Christmas morning Andy (my brother), Emery, Jovanni, and I will be serving breakfast to those in need at the Christian Life Center. We have to be there at 6:00 am! It will be great.

It occured to me this week that the Christmas story is one of humility. The Saviour was born in humble circumstances. He was unknown by so much of the world - a small and simple beginning. At the same time, the birth of Jesus was a glorious moment announced and celebrated with choirs of angels singing, "Halleluja!" It was a moment fortold by countless prophets -- a moment that would lead to the saving of all mankind. What a wonderful combination: humility and great glory. I believe that when we humbly perform simple, Christ-like acts, though they may seem insignificant and are certainly not as miraculous as the birth of the Saviour, they can be life-changing for those we serve. In those quiet, selfless moments, we are truly performing acts that cause angles sing, "Halleluja!"

Merry Christmas, everyone!



















1 comment:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Thank you Katie. You know, this year, I tried to focus my thoughts on the Savior more than ever. And, honestly, I can say that I have a deeper love for Him, more gratitude, and feel more blessed than ever. Thanks for sharing your feelings with me.