Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It was love at first tree...

We have a Christmas tree! Emery and I went out on Saturday to get our Christmas tree. It was cold and snowy, so fortunately when we arrived at the tree farm, we fell in love with the first tree we looked at! And that was that. After a long trek home (ok, so it was just around the block - the tree farm is in our golf course parking lot) we were ready for Christmas! Our tree is so pretty:


On Thursday I finished my last final project of the semester. It was a rough semester - I had a lot of other things on my mind, I was busy with more responsibilities at work, and I was getting over the mid grad program hump - but despite that I did very well. I got everything turned in on time, and my final presentations went very well! Hooray!

Since then, I have been running errands, doing Christmas shopping, and singing. Friday night was my ward's Christmas social. The Activities Committee had tried to get several people to provide some music for the party, however no one was able to except me. So, the result was "The Katie Show, Part II". (Now that I think about it, I don't think I ever wrote about "The Katie Show, Part I." That was the Ward Thanksgiving Talent Show. I performed in 5 numbers, including a flag routine! I want it known, however, that I only signed myself up for 1 number that night. The others I was volunteered for. I was voted "Miss Madison YSA" at the end of the night. I'll include that picture. :) Anyway, I was a little nervous at the Christmas social because I didn't really have time to prepare, but it went pretty well. I sang "Santa Baby", "Merry Christmas, Darling", and "Jingle Bells" (Barbara Streisand style). It was a fun night. I was able to have fun and talk with good friends.


Yesterday I had another fun opportunity to sing. The wife of one of our bishopric members works as a volunteer supervising tour guides at the LDS Conference Center. Her shift's volunteers were having a small luncheon previous to their shift, and she asked if Emery and I would sing Christmas songs during the meal. We asked Dennis if he would play the piano for us. Fortunately, I am off-track and Emery and Dennis were able to take a couple hours from work so we could sing. It went very well and was a nice opportunity. Everyone was very gracious and happy we were there.

This morning I dropped my car off to be serviced, then walked home in the falling snow. I loved the taking a nice, long walk. And thanks to my new gloves and old thermals it was very pleasant. I think I was walking faster than the cars waiting in the lines of traffic. :) I'm glad we do have snow now, too. I'm not a huge fan of the winter cold, particularly when it's still here in February and March, but I've come to like a nice white blanket over everything for Christmas. It's he perfect backdrop for the season.

2 comments:

Alanna said...

I loved your positive attitude! It needs to rub off on me. I'm happy but I'm also a little sad. Putting on the fake smile sometimes. It's all good though. We all go through times where we have to search to be happy! Thanks for pointing out some happy things in life! :) Glad you were able to sing at the parties too!

Flynnur said...

Accompanying for you and Emery is bliss!